Thursday

Alternative Holiday Shopping


Every year around this time the local churches pass around a box full of beautiful handmade items from around the world. They sell them at the local craft fairs and during coffee hours after church services during the advent season. I always find a few treasures and then get on the website to see what else is out there. This year SERRV is celebrating its 60th year of "eradicating poverty where it resides by providing opportunity and support to artisans and farmers world wide".

I bought this Indonesian pin last week. I haven't decided if I'll give it away or keep it for myself.

Here's how SERRV describes their work:

Our work encompasses more than just buying and selling.
We offer prepayments so our partners can sustain their business.
Create new designs so they can build their markets.
Teach new skills so they can develop their craft.
Provide grants so they can expand their resources.

We support equal rights for women.
Guide sustainable development.
And of course, pay a fair wage.

For 60 years, we have worked on behalf of the world’s Artisans and Farmers. One of the first alternative trade organizations in the world, SERRV is a founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization (formerly IFAT) and a founding member of the Fair Trade Federation (FTF).


This just went into my shopping cart. One of those church ladies snatched it up before I could!

And this - genius!


SERRV items are unique and I always feel good about my purchases. It's a win-win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment